POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.competition : Competition status : Re: Competition status Server Time
4 May 2024 01:40:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Competition status
From: Jeremy M  Praay
Date: 23 Oct 2004 17:16:24
Message: <417aca28$1@news.povray.org>
"Chris Holtorf" <lho### [at] nwlinkcom> wrote in message
>   Now what do I do ? Do I try to improve my current submission that wasn't
> good enough for your initial contest and hope that it might be good enough
> for the next round
> or do I start over and hope I don't waste my time and effort like I did
> for the first round ?

How do you know that your image was not one of the exceptional?

For me, I did the best I could with the time allotted.  There are many
people here with skills that are far better than mine.  But I work with what
I know, and with what time and hardware permit.  If I didn't think I had a
chance, I would not have entered the competition to begin with.

You also have to realize that this competition is not as much about "us" as
it is about "POV-Ray."  These prizes are not simply being given-out because
of someone's generosity.  While some generosity has come into play, the
prizes are also an advertisement for the sponsors.  People don't like to
talk about this, but it's a reality.  The sponsors expect something in
return, and if we don't provide that to them (in the form of exceptional
images), they will be less likely to do this again.  I hope I don't get
flamed for being overly frank.

Chris Cason, Gilles, Thorsten, and others have been very generous with their
time on this, however, so please be kind to the organizers.  I would also
like to ask everyone to try to be more positive, but all I can do is ask.

--
Jeremy
www.beantoad.com